Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act

The Federal Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords students certain rights with respect to their educational records. They are:

  1. The right to inspect and review the student's education records within 45 days of the day the university receives a request for access.
  2. The right to have allegedly harmful effects of university decisions or actions on the student(s) be investigated and resolved. Copies of the Grievance Procedures can be obtained from the Vice President of Student Affairs Office, the Office of Academic Programs & Undergraduate/Graduate Studies, or the Office of Diversity & Compliance.
  3. The right to consent to disclosures of personally identifiable information contained in the student’s education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure of directory information.
  4. Students have the right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education regarding compliance with FERPA. The contact information for the office that administers FERPA is:

    Family Policy Compliance Office
    U.S. Department of Education
    400 Maryland Avenue, SW
    Washington, DC 20202-4605
    Voice: (202) 260-3887 — FAX: (202) 260-9001

    Individuals who use TDD may call the Federal Information Relay Service at 1-800-877-8339

∧ Back to Top

Directory information includes:

Directory information is subject to release by Humboldt State University at any time unless a student submits to the university a prior written request that such information not be released. Currently enrolled students may request that their directory information not be released by completing a form at the Office of the Registrar, SBS 133. Such a request will result in outside parties (including friends and relatives of the student) being unable to obtain contact information on the student through the university and the university being unable to include the student’s name in information provided to outside parties offering scholarship, career and other opportunities and benefits.

Humboldt State is authorized to provide access to student records to campus officials and employees who have legitimate educational interest in such access. These persons are those who have responsibilities in connection with campus academic, administrative or service functions or a person or company with whom Humboldt State has contracted (such as the National Student Clearinghouse) and who have reason for using student records connected with their campus or other related academic responsibilities.

∧ Back to Top

Student Records Access Policy

The purpose of the Records Access Policy is to ensure that the campus community is aware of, and complies with, the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974. The complete text of the policy is available on the web at

∧ Back to Top

Student Papers, Theses or Projects

It may be required that graduate or undergraduate student papers, theses, or projects be placed in the University Library, available to interested members of the public. Students may wish to secure copyrights for their work. Information regarding proper procedure for obtaining a copyright is available from the Documents section on the 3rd floor of the library or from the Office of Academic Programs & Undergraduate/Graduate Studies, SH 217A.

∧ Back to Top

Disclosure of Student Information

Agencies of the State of California may request, for recruitment purposes, information including the names, addresses, major fields of study, and total units completed of CSU students and former students. The university is required by law to release such information to state agencies. Students may request in writing release of such information. Students may also forbid release of any personally identifiable information to state agencies or any other person or organization. Forms requesting the withholding of personally identifiable information are available in the Office of the Registrar, SBS 133.

∧ Back to Top