Credit by Examination

External Credit By Exam

Humboldt State may grant credit for passing scores on external examinations such as Advanced Placement (AP), CLEP, DSST, EEE and International Baccalaureate (IB) exams. No more than 30 semester units of such credit may apply to a baccalaureate degree. Advanced Placement (AP) and International Baccalaureate (IB) credits are excluded from this limit.

The number of units awarded and how they meet specific academic requirements are provided in these charts (pdf). If the content covered by an examination duplicates other credit awarded, the units will be adjusted from the amount indicated.

Challenging A Course At HSU

Students may challenge courses by taking examinations developed at Humboldt State University. Credit shall be awarded to those who pass them successfully. A Credit By Examination form must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar, SBS 133, during the first two weeks of the semester. Do not register for the class for which you would like to challenge.

Not all courses are available to be challenged. The instructor of the course and the department chair must first approve the credit by exam. Approval by the department chair and the instructor will be based upon consideration of preparation and background, the nature of the work to be covered and the availability of qualified staff members to give the examination. Units earned by examination will not count toward the residency requirement at Humboldt State. Persons challenging courses must be enrolled in other courses as matriculating students.

Applications for internal credit by examination are available from the Office of the Registrar, SBS 133.