Repeating Courses

Effective Fall 2009, undergraduate students may repeat up to 16 units with grade forgiveness. With the exception of repeatable courses, undergraduate students may only repeat courses if they earned grades lower than a C. For the first 16 units of repeated courses, only the newer attempt calculates into the student’s GPA. Undergraduate students may only repeat a course for grade forgiveness two times and each of these attempts counts toward the 16-unit maximum for repeats. Grade forgiveness will not be allowed for a course for which the original grade was the result of a finding of academic dishonesty. Students may repeat an additional 12 units (beyond the initial 16) with “grades averaged,” where both the original and new grade are included in the calculation of the student’s GPA. Undergraduate students may not repeat more than 28 units of course work. This limit applies only to units completed at Humboldt State University.

Exceptions occur in cases where an academic program on campus specifically designates that a course is repeatable so that the automatic repeat process does not take place. For instance, ENVS 111 is set up by the department to be repeatable 4 times. This means that a maximum of 5 attempts of this course will count toward the student’s grade point average.

Students should submit a petition to the Office of the Registrar, SBS 133, if special circumstances are involved. Repeating a Humboldt State course that was previously taken at another college may require permission from the university department offering an equivalent course (if the equivalency has not been established by an articulation agreement). Additionally, the department chair must sign a Student Petition, if applicable, which is available from the Office of the Registrar. In order to override the Humboldt State automatic repeat policy, the student needs approval of the department chair on a Student Petition.

The grades of I, NC, RP, RD, and W are not considered as attempts for grade point average computation. Contact the Office of the Registrar, SBS 133, regarding courses taken prior to fall semester 1996. Please note: Some universities calculate all attempts of every course and ignore the undergraduate grade point average provided by Humboldt State for post-baccalaureate programs (e.g. graduate level programs, law school, medical schools).

Students who are pursuing a second bachelor’s degree or who are unclassified post-baccalaureate students are eligible to use the undergraduate repeat policy. Students should submit a petition to the Office of the Registrar, SBS 133.

Graduate students may repeat courses; however, all grades will appear on the permanent record and count in the grade point average. The units earned toward the degree count only once.

Note: A student may not take a course at Humboldt State, repeat it at another college, and then use the repeat policy to remove the Humboldt State course from the grade point average.