Transfer Credit at Humboldt State

Got transfer credit?

We’re here to help you understand how the credit you have earned will transfer to your degree at Humboldt State.

Will my credit transfer?

Course Credit

Explore how your courses will transfer using online resources.

Other Credit

Will my examination credit (AP, IB, CLEP, EEE) or military credit transfer to Humboldt State? What about semester vs. quarter credit?

How do I transfer credit?

Why am I receiving elective credit only?

Residency Requirements


Course Credit

Humboldt State University generally accepts credit from regionally accredited colleges or universities, if:

The following types of credit generally do not transfer to Humboldt State.

Articulation agreements (aka “course equivalencies”) are published on ASSIST and Transferology™ and show how courses taken at one institution will transfer to Humboldt State. See articulation for additional rules and information.


Explore how course credits earned at one California Community College, California State University or University of California campus can be applied when transferred to another campus. ASSIST is the official, statewide repository of course articulation agreements and transfer information in the state of California. ASSIST also displays lower division major preparation course agreements.

Transferology™ »

Transferology™ is a free, nation-wide network to help students explore their college transfer options and find the answers to all of your transfer credit questions in one place.

"How to" for prospective HSU students

Step 1: Create an account

Step 2: Add completed or planned courses

Step 3: Search for matches to see how your credit applies to your planned major at HSU

Step 4: Click Request Information to ask any questions you have about your results

Understanding your results

Match — the course may be awarded credit after transfer (if you earned a passing grade)

Miss — includes courses that will not transfer or could transfer if you take additional course work (shown in light gray)

Maybe — these courses haven't been reviewed by Humboldt State. Click Request Information to send us your results and ask for an in depth review of your “Maybe” results.

"How to" for current students

Transferology can help you search for replacement courses and find pre-approved transfer courses to take at other colleges and universities:

Step 1: Create an account

Step 2: Click Find a Replacement Course

Step 3: Add the courses (ex: BA 252) or requirement category (ex: GE, DCG, American Institutions)

Step 4:   Search for matches (hint: sort by distance, cost, and more!)

Step 5: View your results

Transferology™ only displays pre-approved courses. If you do not see a course listed that you believe should count, let us know and we can take a closer look. Contact the Office of the Registrar at

If the course is a major course, contact your major advisor.

Other Credit

Examination Credit (AP, IB, CLEP, EEE)

Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), College Level Examination Program (CLEP), English Equivalency Exam (EEE) and military credit are awarded specific types of credit. See Credit for External Examinations in the university catalog to find out how they will be used at HSU.

Military Credit

Contact VETS (Veterans Enrollment and Transition Services) for details on the military transcript evaluation process. In general, student veterans with an honorable discharge will earn a minimum of 3 semester units of credit toward the CSU General Education area E requirement. Note: Military credit that is solely technical in nature generally does not transfer.

Semester vs. Quarter Credits

Credits from a school on the quarter system will be converted to semester units. HSU divides the quarter units by 1.5 to determine the semester credit. For example, if you have: 90 quarter units, they will be converted to 60 semester units.

How do I transfer credit?

Prospective HSU students

After you apply and send your official transcripts and/or exam scores (AP, IB, CLEP, etc.) to Humboldt State, a counselor will review your transcripts to see which credits will transfer. Go to: Sending Transcripts for instructions.

We are busy throughout the application process getting your transfer credit ready in time for transfer student orientation.

Current HSU students:

Send your official transcripts and/or exam scores (AP, IB, CLEP, etc.) to Humboldt State. Go to : Sending Transcripts for instructions.

A counselor in the Office of the Registrar will review your transcripts and determine which credits transfer and how the credit will apply to your degree. Any existing course-to-course articulation agreements will be applied to your transfer credit, including any general education credit.

Expect your Degree Audit Report (DARS) to be updated and finalized to include your transfer credits about 1-3 weeks after we receive your official transcripts. (International or study abroad transcripts may take longer.)

Why am I receiving elective credit only?

If you took coursework that was not formally pre-approved, and no articulation agreements exist, your credits may transfer in as electives. These courses must be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.

If you believe a transfer course should have counted for general education, please contact the Office of the Registrar at to request a review.

If you believe an elective course should count toward your major, you can work with your major advisor to see if those elective credits can be applied to your major.

Residency Requirement

You must earn a minimum of 30 units in regular* courses at Humboldt State.

Of those 30 units, 24 must be upper division, and 12 of the upper division units must be in your major. You must earn at least 9 units of General Education (GE) at Humboldt State. (California Code of Regulations, Title 5 § 40403 and 40405.1)

*Regular courses do not include extension or credit earned through examination (24 units of Open University courses may be excepted)


Community College Credit Limitations

A maximum of 70 semester units (or 105 quarter units) transferred from community colleges may be applied toward the total unit requirement for a Bachelor’s Degree. No upper division credit may be allowed for courses taken at a community college. (California Code of Regulations, Title 5 § 40409)

See credit limitations for full details