Academic Advising

At Humboldt State, academic advisors play a vital role in a student’s education. All new matriculated students are assigned an academic advisor during the first two weeks of classes, and are notified of the assignment via email. With a few exceptions, the advisor is a faculty member in the student’s major. Undeclared undergraduate and unclassified post-baccalaureate students have advisors assigned from the Academic & Career Advising Center (see below) until they have declared a major, while students participating in the Educational Opportunity Program (EOP) have an EOP advisor assigned for their first academic year in addition to their academic advisor.

Beginning with the registration cycle for Spring 2018, all continuing students must plan three semesters ahead using DARS Degree Planner and meet with their academic advisor before they register to get advice on their academic progress and to discuss schedule plans for the coming term. Students will have a mandatory advising hold on registration which can only be released by their advisor. You will need to see your advisor early to get the hold released. Students with questions about prerequisites or the best way of sequencing major courses, with concerns about career or graduate school choices, or with other issues involving their academic progress are encouraged to visit their advisor at any time during the academic year. Undergraduates who have reached junior standing should meet with their advisor to initiate a major contract in preparation for applying for graduation, and to discuss plans for their final terms of enrollment.

Students who are unsure of their advisor assignment may view their advisor assignment online through the campus portal at Once logged in, click on Student Center. Your advisor’s name will be listed on the right side under Program Advisor. Hint: If you click on details in your advisor box, then click on your advisor’s name, you can email your advisor. Those who need to change their advisor may obtain the “Advisor Change” form online or at the Office of the Registrar (SBS 133).

Advising assistance is also available at the Academic & Career Advising Center, particularly when it comes to general education and all-university requirements, and declaring or changing your major.

Academic Advising is located in Gist Hall 114 and is open Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. Students may meet with advisors on a walk-in or appointment basis during the Center’s hours of operation. We may be reached at 707-826-3341 or