First-time Freshmen - How to Graduate in Four Years
At Humboldt, we realize that the completion of your undergraduate degree in four years may be an important goal. To assist you, we are committed to advising you on how to graduate within four years. At the same time, we believe that an education with an emphasis on time constraints might not meet some students' desire for enhanced educational experiences.
If you choose to change majors, enhance your education by taking additional courses, involve yourself in extra-curricular activities, study abroad, engage in one or more internships or work study opportunities, or work, it may not be possible to graduate within four years.
The quality of your experience may be more important than the time it takes to complete your degree. As a residential community, Humboldt staff and faculty will strive to provide you with an enriched educational experience and we offer the following guidelines for completing graduation requirements in four years.
The student will:
- Prior to registration and enrollment: Complete the English Placement Test (EPT) and the Entry Level Math Test (ELM) or be eligible to take General Education (GE) level Math and English upon admission to the University. Should your test scores be insufficient to place you in degree eligible course work, your time to degree will be increased as you enroll in the necessary remedial course work in order to become eligible to take GE level Math and English.
- Satisfactorily complete a minimum of 30 non-remedial semester units per year. (Certain majors may require completion of additional units per year.) A minimum grade point average of 2.0 is needed to graduate.
- Meet each semester with your assigned academic advisor to plan an appropriate course of study. Also, meet with an Office of the Registrar Transfer & Graduation Counselor (Office of the Registrar, SBS 133) each semester to review academic progress.
- Declare a major at the time of admission or during your first semester. A major change may increase the time to degree.
- Pass the Graduation Writing Proficiency Exam as soon as possible after completion of 60 semester units.
- Meet all financial aid and fee payment deadlines.
- Apply for graduation at least three semesters prior to graduation.
- Participate in early registration each semester, and refrain from withdrawing and/or taking educational leaves.
Humboldt State University will:
- Provide regular academic advising
- Provide required courses and make available sufficient class offerings in order to make satisfactory degree progress.
- If the required courses for a four-year degree plan are not available and if all conditions above are met, the student will not be required to pay tuition and/or the State University fee otherwise required for the student to register subsequently and enroll in courses necessary for graduation. This is the sole remedy for the university's breach of the four-year degree pledge program. Please contact the Office of the Registrar, SBS 133, if you wish to establish this agreement.