HSU Identification

HSU-ID Number

To assist in protecting students from identity theft, Humboldt State University has generated an identification number (HSU-ID) for each student. Students are encouraged to carry their valid HSU-ID card as various areas on campus will require that the HSU-ID card be swiped to obtain access or services. The HSU-ID card can be used only for obtaining services from the university. It cannot be used to establish credit or to identify a student for business purposes outside the university. Therefore, if the card is lost, it does not create the potential for identity theft inherent in using social security numbers (SSNs).

HSU Username

In an effort to consolidate login information and to provide better protection of student information, many components of HSU’s system use the student’s HSU Username (e.g. abc123 or abcd1234) as a login.

Social Security Number

Humboldt uses the social security number to identify students and their records including identification for purposes of financial aid eligibility and disbursement and the repayment of financial aid and other debts payable to the institution. Also, the Internal Revenue Service requires the University to file information returns that include the student’s social security number and other information such as the amount paid for qualified tuition, related expenses, and interest on educational loans. This information is used by the IRS to help determine whether a student, or a person claiming a student as a dependent, may take a credit or deduction to reduce federal income taxes. Many efforts are made to protect the privacy of this number.

ID Card

Students must have a picture taken in order to obtain a student identification card. An ID card is needed to use the library, Student Health & Counseling Center, and various campus services, as well as to pick up financial aid checks, ride the local transit system, and obtain student discounts for campus events. ID pictures are taken at the library circulation desk, Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to- 9:00 p.m. or by appointment, call 707-826-5601. The cost of the ID card is included in the registration fee the first term of enrollment at Humboldt State. There is a $5 fee, payable at Student Financial Services, SBS 285, or the Housing cashier, if the ID card needs to be replaced. If pre-paid, the receipt must be presented to the ID Staff at the library. The library can also issue a bill for the $5.00 if payment is not made ahead of time. For further information visit the ID Services website at Library ID Services.