Study Abroad & Exchange Programs

Study Abroad Programs

There are many opportunities for students at Humboldt State University to study abroad for a year, a semester, or the summer and receive academic credit. Students are advised to attend one of the informational meetings held twice weekly throughout the year where they can learn about the various programs available to them. For further information, contact Penelope Shaw at 707-826-3942 or, or visit The Study Abroad Office is located in the Feuerwerker House.

CSU International Programs (IP)

Developing intercultural communication skills and international understanding among its students is a vital mission of The California State University (CSU). Since its inception in 1963, the CSU International Programs has contributed to this effort by providing qualified students an affordable opportunity to continue their studies abroad for a full academic year. More than 20,000 CSU students have taken advantage of this unique study option.

To qualify for admission to the International Programs, in most programs students must have upper division or graduate standing at a CSU campus by the time of departure. Students at the sophomore level may, however, participate in the intensive language acquisition programs or courses in Canada, China, France, Germany, Korea, Mexico, Sweden, and Taiwan. California Community Colleges transfer students are eligible to apply directly from their community colleges. Students must also possess a current cumulative grade point average of 2.75 or 3.0, depending on the program for which they apply, and must fulfill all coursework prerequisites.

International Programs participants earn resident academic credit at their CSU campuses while they pursue full-time study at a host university or special study center abroad. The International Programs serves the needs of students in over 100 designated academic majors. Affiliated with more than 50 recognized universities and institutions of higher education in 18 countries, the International Programs also offers a wide selection of study abroad destinations and learning environments.

Additional information and application materials may be obtained by visiting the HSU Study Abroad website at, or the CSU site at, or by writing to The California State University International Programs, 401 Golden Shore, Sixth Floor, Long Beach, CA 90802-4210.

National Student Exchange (NSE)

HSU no longer participates in the National Student Exchange program. We will no longer recruit and place HSU students at other campuses, nor will we accept students from other campuses through this program.

Intrasystem Enrollment Programs

Students enrolled at any CSU campus have access to courses at other CSU campuses on a space-available basis unless those campuses or programs are impacted or admission to the desired program or admission categories are closed. This access is offered without students being admitted formally to the host campus and sometimes without paying addi­tional fees. Although courses taken on any CSU campus will transfer to the student’s home CSU campus as elective credit, students should consult their home campus academic advisors to determine how such courses may apply to their specific degree programs before enrolling at the host campus.

There are two programs for enrollment within the CSU and one for enrollment between CSU and the University of California or California Community Colleges. Additional information about these programs is available from the Office of the Registrar, SBS 133, 707-826-4101.