Educational Leave / Leave Of Absence

A student may request a leave of absence or educational leave from the university in order to pursue other educationally related activities or to clarify his/her educational goals. Undergraduate students must submit a request to go on leave to the Office of the Registrar, SBS 133. Graduate students should contact the Office of Academic Programs & Undergraduate/Graduate Studies, SH 217A, for information.

A student must attend at least one term prior to requesting a leave of absence. A leave of absence maintains continuing student status. This allows a student to maintain catalog rights and eligibility to enroll for the term immediately after the expiration of the leave without reapplying to the university. While on leave, a student is not considered enrolled and is not eligible for any services from the university. The student will be apprised via their preferred email address of registration information and deadlines for the term he/she is to return to Humboldt State.

A leave of absence may be requested for one or two terms, but may be extended for two additional terms (for a maximum of four terms) under special circumstances. For more information, or to obtain an educational leave request form, contact the Office of the Registrar.

Note: Students must keep their HSU preferred email address up-to-date. Humboldt State will be contacting them via email with important registration information after the leave has ended. Please see Email Policy.